A couple weeks ago was my last day at practicum with my kiddos. After four weeks of being with them I didn't really want to leave them but I knew that it was time. In leaving them I knew that they would be the first kiddos that I ever taught and I would remember them in that way. My practicum experience was not the greatest compared to some others, but what I took out of my experience will be invaluable as I prepare for having my own classroom someday. The title of the post is based on what I received in the mail the other day. A package of letters and pictures from my students! Something that I will have forever to remember them by.
Since my last day of practicum the weeks have been a blur! We started having regular class again, there was homework on top of homework, and work to consume my time. So now I sit here and think of some of the more exciting things starting to take shape!
In the midst of all things crazy, I had a meeting about student teaching. For those of you who don't know what I will be doing, let me fill you in! I chose to part of a STEM grant that some professors are working on at Iowa State. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. This grant allows 10 student teachers to work with a cooperating teacher in the Des Moines Public School District and a Masters or PhD student in the College of Engineering. The three of us work together to bring more of the STEM concepts into the classroom. The grant is also supposed to help someone like me whose endorsements are not in science or mathematics. Let me tell you, I need all the help with math a girl can get! Definitely not one of my strong suits. Anyway, I found this to be a really interesting opportunity that I just could not pass up. I will spend 16 weeks in one classroom, have weekly meetings with our group of adults, and I will be getting paid to student teach. SAY WHAT? No one gets paid to student teach. I told y'all that it was an interesting opportunity! Back to the meeting; I met the PhD student that I will be working with, and got my placement! I will be in a 3rd grade classroom at a DMPS that is 8 miles from my apartment. How did I get so lucky? I get to meet my cooperating teacher at the end of this week. I AM SO EXCITED! I told you that light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger!
The next best thing to happen this week is that two lovely gems in my life are coming home to IOWA and graduating...all in one week! I am so very excited to see them and celebrate! :)
Within the last week or so it has really started to hit me that other than this summer, I will not be on campus anymore. This nonsense is playing games in my head! To think that I wont be on a college campus everyday? What is this life that you speak of? The road has been long...
Third grade, here I come!


No comments:
Post a Comment